Monday, January 24, 2011

My Struggle with Lupus and Why I'm a Beachbody Coach!

One of the reasons I am involved with Beachbody is because of my personal journey with exercise and strength training while having an autoimmune disease

Almost 5 years ago at the age of 31.  I was diagnosed with Lupus SLE which is an autoimmune disease that attacks the soft tissue in your body.  I had been going through these horrible weeks where my body would just crash and I couldn't get it together physically.  I had some previous success with working out and eating well but I kept getting too thin and couldn't keep muscle.  I was weak and started to give in to the mental struggles of chronically feeling ill.  

I secretly wondered if I had cancer or something…if life was always going to be a struggle physically.   Since that time, I have tried a gluten free diet, some products for glyconutrients, clean eating diet, vitamins etc.- all of which has been somewhat beneficial. 

However, a year and a half ago, over Christmas, we saw the P90X video and my husband who just turned 40 decided to give it a try.  Me, also ready to keep pushing forward even through the Lupus flares, decided to give it a try as well.  We also decided to try Shakeology as I am always looking for good healthy foods especially in the winter when the choices are slim here in Nebraska.  

I have to say that for the first time since I can remember.. I have been able to build and sustain muscle for the last 18 months For the first time in years, I don't worry about my digestive issues that have always played a huge role in my day..which is really very amazing to me.  

You can see from a few of my pictures (there will be more to come… I don't like taking pictures)  that I am able to build and keep muscle which is huge in helping me maintain a healthy life and do the things I want to do.  I never would have dreamed a few years ago that I would be strong enough to ski or learn to surf… I was barely strong enough to get off the couch let alone stand up on a board in the ocean.  

So to say I'm "excited" about Beachbody and their products sounds a little cheesy to me…  I guess I'm just thankful  - excited to have my life back and to be strong enough to enjoy it.  All Glory goes to my Heavenly Father the ultimate healer and life giver!

5 comments:

  1. what is the Beachbody all about? - obviously getting fit - I just mean - is it a video workout - etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Beachbody is a fitness company but they look at fitness holistically. They are best known for their P90X Program but they have some incredible supplements as well. The one that I use daily is the Shakeology. I now have a link on my home page so you can go there to learn more about it. It has over 70 ingredients including all the things I need to be taking for Lupus. My digestive system would just stop working and this product has truly helped keep things going (if you know what I mean :) ) I will post more about my experience with Shakeology in the future. But for now you are most welcome to browse the videos on the site.. I've been pretty impressed with it long term.
    Blessings, Carma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - it looks very interesting. I like how you say it works long term - it seems like it does take a while for anything to work, especially digestively. My chiropractor says I have the most stubborn system she's ever seen. Your blog and info and wisdom is needed. You have been dealing with this disease for a long time and your view and attitude is helpful. I think I have tried to give up every month or so; but realize I can't give up and then I have to work even harder to regain what I lost from saying forget it for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Heather. Even this weekend God brought a few ladies my direction that don't know what is wrong with their bodies but something is definitely wrong! Keep at it. Don't give up.. it's worth it. I take 3 steps forward one step back but in a years time I can make it a long ways...
    God Bless, Carma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Carma, and I love to see two of my friends sharing life in your comment section!

    ReplyDelete