Friday, February 4, 2011

Inflammation - 7 Foods to Avoid...Here's #7

Nightshade Vegetables
There are over 2,000 species of plants that can be listed under the category of "nightshade".  The edible versions of these foods contain chemicals that "ignite" inflammation.  The recommended time for a nightshade-free diet to prove beneficial is ninety days.  If you don't feel improvement in your pain, inflammation and mobility, go back to eating them.  It won't take long for your body to let you know. 

Which Foods Come From "Nightshade" Plants?
Completely Avoid: Tomatoes, Potatoes (Sweet Potatoes & Yams are NOT nightshades), Peppers (red, green, yellow, any variety), Paprika, Goji Berries, Cayenne, Chili powder, Eggplant and Okra.
Be careful of : sauces and dressings like A1, Worcestershire, Tabasco, etc. Many restaurant and store-bought dressings and sauces contain potato starch or a "dash" of paprika or cayenne.  

My World 
Well - if you know me, you know I love salsa!  So this post has been a good reminder to me that I need to focus on this again and see what changes I can make.  One change I have made is to add more hummus in my daily food.  I use this when I need a dip instead of salsa.  I also spread it on chicken for lunch.  A great added bonus is that it has protein!  Side note: Don't take it to the Super Bowl Party unless your friends "eat healthy" because it doesn't "look" appetizing on it's own. :)

4 comments:

  1. wow - I've read a lot about what causes inflammation and never read about this - thanks a lot! I eat tomatoes and potatoes all the time. Have you read that we can't eat rice? I recently read that sjogrins/lupus people shouldn't eat rice - just wondered what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KWZ/is_5_4/ai_111734421/

    Heather - this is a decent article about why nightshades can be a big deal. While I don't endorse all of their thoughts... it gives us something to think about. I will try to remember to post some of my book sources when I'm back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to note that raw tomatoes make me ache, while tomatoes cooked in sauces don't seem to make any difference. Perhaps the chemical structure changes in cooking?

    ReplyDelete