Thursday, February 3, 2011

Inflammation - 7 Foods to Avoid...Here's #6

Dairy
Some experts say dairy products, particularly milk, have been shown to drive the symptoms of arthritis-like disorders.  Additionally, we need to avoid cheeses that are aged and made with mold like Stilton, Blue Cheese, and Brie, as the molds also "ignite" inflammation.

My World
Milk does upset my digestive system... so thankfully, I am not a lover of milk or mold cheeses making this one easier for me.  We do use hormone-free milk in our home.  (I personally wonder if it's the hormones in the milk that causes the inflammation problems.)  I also use other options when they are available such as Coconut Milk.  Because of the differing views on Soy, I don't use soy milk on a regular basis.  

2 comments:

  1. Carma, can you give examples of the brands of milk you buy? My girls drink a lot of milk and I'm often overwhelmed with all the different kinds/brands of milk you can buy...from hormone free to organic to Ultra pasturized etc. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We buy Prairieland milk which is from a local dairy. Roberts Dairy claims that they use milk from farmers that do not use hormones. The FDA says that it is supposed to say "no RBST" or "RBST Free" on the packaging but I haven't looked at it in a while. Our milk in this country is bad for our girls especially and in Nebraska I would literally have to own the rights to a cow to get it without being processed. (I don't know if we would drink it anyway :)) But right now the best I know is to get it without hormones and not drink it 24/7. I'm always learning so maybe there is a better thought out there. Blessings, Carma

    ReplyDelete